Saturday, October 3, 2009

what the heck is that...

I was at a restaurant when I walked past this thing hanging on the wall. Upon further review, it was a phone. You actually had to put .35 in it to make a local call... go figure.

That old thing got me thinking (I know, that is a dangerous thing, but bear with me). The reason the pay phone existed was to accomplish a very clear purpose - to be able to talk to someone when they were not with you.

Over the years, the purpose has stayed the same but the methods have changed drastically. We can now open up our own personal phones to call, text or even email right from the palm of our hands.

I think that was a pretty clear example of some of the things we do in life. The way we used to do church many years ago doesn't mean that is the best way to do them now. The purpose has not changed and never will - to tell others about Jesus Christ. C3 chooses to say it a little different but it is still the same point. We say "leading people to LifeChange"...

We don't try to do things the way the church did them years ago. We don't even do them the way other churches are doing them today.

My point: The phone like the church has kept the same clear purpose or vision. The methods have changed to be the most effective in this day and age.

Could you imagine actually being in a position to have to use a pay phone. What would you do if you answered your phone to hear "you have a collect call..." - my kids wouldn't have a clue what that means...

1 comment:

Pastor Josh said...

The pay phone at our library actually has instructions written and posted above the phone so people know how to use it... I had to stop and make a comment to the librarian about how funny that was.