Wednesday, October 7, 2009

root beer float

Last night I got to go to Dayton to speak to the youth. It was awesome and I had a great time.

When I was finishing up the message I encouraged the students to come talk to me if they had questions about the Jesus I was telling telling them about.

I went to sit down but before I even sat down there was a young man that leaned over and gave me a really serious sad look and said "I have 2 questions". I compassionately put my hand on his shoulder and said "what's up buddy?" Here is the conversation as I recall it...

He looked at me then looked down, then locked eyes with me and said "can I still get a root beer float?"... (they made floats that night and he wanted to make sure there was some left). I said, "I am sure you can after we are done." I was looking around for the cameras thinking I was being punked.

Anyway, he reminded me that he had TWO questions. I said, go ahead: so he asked if I would talk to the leadership to see if we could do a "crazy hat" night because he had one he wanted to enter in the contest. I said, I am sure we can make that happen...

What a great night. I preach for 30 minutes and this kid wants to talk about root beer floats and crazy hats. I am just that good!!!...

My point: I could've walked out of there very disappointed and discouraged but I chose not to. I believe that I am only responsible to share the words God gave me. It is up to others to apply them. We need to apply God's word to our lives and let God deal with the hearts of those who hear is truth.

On a positive note, as I was leaving another kid asked me to sign his bible. I felt weird since I didn't write the book but I signed it "Jesus" and left... jk, I wrote my name and date and wrote something encouraging...


No comments: