Thursday, April 28, 2011

inspirational socks

To the untrained eye this may just look like a very patriotic sock.

Upon further review this is the actual sock (yes I wore both of them) that I wore to run a marathon. That is not what makes this pair of socks significant tho...

These socks were given to me as I was training for the marathon and they came with encouragement and a belief that I could do it.

My friend Konan gave me these socks. He gave them to me and told me that he belived I could do it even tho I have never run distance before. I remember deciding that these would be the socks I would actually wear to run the marathon. Not because of the really cool colors but because of the message and inspiration (not to mention the absorbtion of perspiration).

I remember when I "hit the wall" while running and thinking that there are people who believe in me. Having someone believe in you is one of the most motivating things there is.

I pictured my family at the finish line, remembered all the training and replayed the words of encouragement that people poured into my life. That is what helped me finish strong.

My point: people become what you encourage them to be, not what you nag them to be...

Thanks for the socks and encouragement. (I am not sure if he let me have them or just borrow them but either way, he ain't gettin them back...)

No comments: