Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"relish" the opportunity

We had a meeting last night to plug people into "serve" opportunities at C3. Typically when people feel disconnected or like they just don't fit, it is because they are not plugged in anywhere or they haven't connected with anyone.

At C3 we don't want people to be able to say that. We understand there will always be those people that simply won't get involved, but it is our responsibility to make sure they can if they do want to.

At our meeting we served light snacks. That pretty much means chips, cookies, granola, drinks and relish. Did I say "relish"? You bet I did. We had the table all set up, with all the munchies and we shoved a big bowl of relish right in the middle. I thought this was absolutely hilarious.

You should've seen people walk up to the table and get some food and then notice a bowl of sweet relish. Most people just passed it by (can you believe that). Some people pulled others into the hall and inquired while some asked others in line. Only one person actually asked me "what is up with the relish?".

I laughed so hard I nearly soiled my drawers. I know I think I am a lot funnier than others do but this one was a good one.

What do you do when you see something way out of line? Do you ask or just walk by and not care. Have you been doing something the same for so long that it no longer seems strange? When people look at how you do things, do they wonder "what were they thinking?"...

It is always funny to create situations to see how people will respond but sometimes it is sad to see that no one will step up and say "why the heck is there relish on this table!!!?"

My point: we need to relish the opportunity to help make things better. If you notice something that can be done better, help make it better. If you feel safe enough to ask questions - do it. Don't be afraid to offer constructive feedback in fear of having to help or being rejected.

relish... I kill me!

Yesterday was my birthday. Please feel free to send money or shower me with *extravagant gifts.
*extravagant: spending much more than is necessary or wise; going beyond what is deserved or justifiable

2 comments:

Dave Kidd said...

Hilarious!
Happy Belated Birthday Man!

Sorry no $$$ - college student!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Gary!! I can't believe I missed it!!!!! :(