Friday, February 29, 2008

accountability

I went to the gym this morning. That has nothing to do with this post, I just wanted everyone to know I went to the gym.

When the alarm went off, I was thinking of every reason to reset it for a couple hours later. I got pretty good sleep but I just didn't feel like getting out of my nice warm bed, going out into the cold to drive in bad weather to the gym.

When I don't have to pick Konan up, it is easier to not go. I guess it is no secret why that is - it's called "accountability". If I know he is waiting, I am not going to disappoint him. If no one is waiting, then I don't disappoint anyone - or do I?

When you are doing something for someone else, it may not be the best reason. I need to drag my lazy carcass out of bed and go for me. I need to want it for me, not someone else. I need to do it because it's the best thing for me to do.

Accountability definitely helps, but we need to be self-disciplined enough to do things because they are the best things for ourselves. I am a huge fan of accountability because we all get lazy or stumble or become unmotivated, but we reach a different level when we are "self-motivated" and "self -disciplined".

My point: Have some good accountability, everyone needs it, but your accountability partner shouldn't have to constantly push, pull, drag, nag or beat you into doing what YOU are asking them to help you do. If they have to babysit you, then you probably don't want to do it bad enough anyway.

Did I mention I went to the gym this morning...

No comments: