Tuesday, June 26, 2007

teeth kicked in

"Grow daily or die gradually". That is a quote that I have tried to live by since I read it. It isn't always easy or fun but I always try to grow. I totally believe in the statement and I believe that standing still is not making progress toward anything. Being goal oriented and driven isn't always easy for people around you either.

I can't make anyone WANT to grow. I can just encourage, hope and pray but it is not my responsibility to MAKE anyone grow. Growth is a natural thing in a lot of areas. Unfortunately the older you get, growth around the mid-section is natural... anyway, you can't force people to grow anymore than you can force or make a plant grow. Let that sink in a minute... fine then, don't.

What good would it do to scream at a plant to make it grow. What good would it do to yell at your child trying to force them to grow taller. Both sound pretty stupid, yet I think we do that with people sometimes.

What about mental or spiritual growth. First of all who determines what growth is? If you try to force someone to grow according to your definition they may resent you or resist. They may misinterpret it as trying to change them because they don't meet your standards - "who the heck do you think you are?!" Where do we get off trying to make someone meet your expectations. Who says our expectations/standards are right anyway.

1 Corinthians 3:6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.

I read this verse and got a good swift kick to the teeth. I can plant seeds of encouragement by words or actions. I can add water by providing, nourishment, care and a safe healthy environment, but God makes it grow. It is not my job to make it grow.

My point: Do things with integrity. Don't try to manipulate or control growth in someone else. Focus on you! Don't try to force or make anyone grow. Provide the atmosphere, love and care then just watch what God will do.

Feel free to contribute to my dental bill

3 comments:

BeckE said...

Bro, I'd help you out with your dental bill, but I got my own teeth to replace. Thanks for the blog.

Andy Warren said...

I can't get that toothless image out of my head...thanks a lot!

Andy

shenanigansylv said...

Still the same Gary! I love your "in your face" Word. BTW, I didn't know Deni was pregnant again! Congrats!