Tuesday, June 19, 2007

if it makes you happy

"If it makes you happy it can't be that bad..." now there is a statement that is laced with the sweet smell of manure. Cheryl Crow sang that song and it was a hit for her. The trouble with that statement is that what makes us happy changes more than most people change their underwear. Today, I am happy with my job, finances, spouse, life, car, dinner, color of my hair or whatever. Tomorrow I am frustrated because it is the same old thing. It doesn't make me happy anymore. So if it doesn't make me happy, it is that bad, right?

We all try to do things that bring us happiness but what if those things are really bad for us? What if I am happy eating chocolate cake for every meal. According to Sister Crow, it can't be that bad. What if I am happy taking little kittens and burning their whiskers off with a lighter, well, I guess it can't be that bad. What if what makes me happy is downright evil. What if I feel no remorse whatsoever - then it's not that bad. This is such a load of crap.

1 Corinthians 4:4
even though my conscience is clear, that doesn't mean I am innocent.

Take that Cheryl!! The word of God says that just because it doesn't "feel" wrong or because your warped mind can somehow justify your twisted actions, that doesn't mean it is ok. I can't help but feel sorry for people who are clearly doing wrong and convincing themselves - it's ok, it feels good and it makes me happy.

My point: just because it makes you happy, it can be that bad. If something is wrong and somehow it still makes you happy, you need help.

What are some things you are doing that God thinks is wrong but you still do because you think it makes you happy?

I wonder if that is Cheryl's cat...

1 comment:

FUJI said...

So true! Thanks Gary, I appreciate your postings, they are a blessing to me!

Fuji(Tony B)