Wednesday, June 6, 2007

does it hurt


Here is a picture of my daughter Shayna that you may be able to make fun of (if you try really hard). I assure you that she will not be extremely happy that I put this on here for everyone to see but hey, it will make my point.

When I was in high school, I was the guy that walked into the room and looked for things to make fun of. It was like a defense mechanism to make sure I didn't get made fun of. I was so insecure about myself that I had to keep people laughing at others so they would not laugh at me. It was actually a brilliant plan that I nailed down to a masterful science. I was the funny guy. I had people hanging around me for a couple reasons. One was fear - so I didn't make fun of them and make them look stupid. The other reason was to laugh. They knew that if they were around me, I was gonna make them laugh. Unfortunately it was going to be at someone elses expense. I remember making people cry by being so cruel. I am certainly not proud of this now but it really didn't affect me much then. I guess I could justify it and write it off as "just being funny".


When I see people from high school now, I begin the conversation with a heartfelt "I am sorry!" I was that bad...


Then came the truth in the form of 1 Thes 5:11 "continue to encourage and edify just as you are doing now". I was not doing that at all.


Now, I am the one who tries to point out the positive in others. I guard myself to make sure I am being positive towards others because it is so natural for me to tear others down.


I believe I was using a God given gift of encouragement for bad instead of the good it was intended.


My point: even joking words that tear people down can HURT really bad!!! Listen to yourself when you talk to others and see if you are encouraging and edifying (building up) or are you so insecure that you need to rip others to feel good about yourself?


If you laughed at the picture of Shayna, its ok, it was meant to be funny... just stop now before you go overboard and I get ticked! Don't make me unleash the fury

4 comments:

BeckE said...

how true ... i've always grown up saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me," but the truth is words really do hurt us. something we should always remember ...

Christy said...

you just made me cry last week gary!

FUJI said...

Thanks for your honesty..You have matured so much and I respect that. I was the brunt of your jokes the first year of camp, and I was the one that wanted to be around you so I wouldn't get picked on!!! But I am so impressed at the person you've become!!! I love you bro!!
From
Buhu FUJI

Paula said...

I think I was the subject of a few of those...washing Dad's truck, watching volleyball finals, but hey, no bitterness here. James 5:9
Love ya lil' bro.