Thursday, June 14, 2007

ohana

"Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten."

That was a quote from the movie Lilo and Stitch. Even if you didn't see the movie you can appreciate that quote. "Ohana" is a Hawaiian word that means "family" and of course they say the word family means no one gets left behind or forgotten. It has been years since I have seen this animated movie but I still love that quote.

I am blessed to have an awesome family. I have a great relationship with my parents and two sisters. I even have great in-laws. I really do get along with them and enjoy them being around. This life is too short to not make the best of having our family around.

A few years ago I lost my daughter Megan. She was born with many problems and lived only 4 days. The so-called experts said she wouldn't even live that long. Six months after that I lost my grandmother (Granny) who was one of the most influential women in my life. When we lose someone close to us, they may have "left us behind" but they will never be "forgotten".

To this day there are songs that I cannot hear without uncontrollably sobbing. There are things almost daily that remind me of them. The reminders are brought on by some of the strangest things. It could have nothing to do with either of them but somehow the situation traces back to a memory of a loved one. To me that is not a bad thing. I love having the memories but I just can't stay there too long because I will be a total mess. I just choose to allow myself to have the memory, thank God that I had the time I had with them and smile because I am a better person as a result of having known them. Whether it was 4 days or 86 years, the memories are so deep and real.

I think it is amazing how deep love runs. Love really is an awesome thing. I can say I will NEVER forget them because I love them so much. Love is so strong that even if we wanted to forget we couldn't. We can try to deny but totally forgetting is not an option.

My point: Enjoy your family. Make some great memories because unfortunately this life will end for all of us at some point. When it does you can still have some amazing times with those loved ones in your memory.

Thessalonians 5:11 (message version)
So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you’ll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you’re already doing this; just keep on doing it.

Can you say "ohana"...

No comments: