Sunday, November 1, 2009

motivation

Why do I blog?

I have been asking myself that for quite awhile now. I can't come up with a real good reason so I guess I keep doing it for my faithful fan (yes that is singular).

I started thinking about why people do what they do. What's their motivation. As I have been thinking about it, I began watching people try to flex their brain muscle, "one up" someone, make sure everyone knows how smart they are, complain, try to make someone look foolish, manipulate others... there were so many more.

The ones I appreciated were the ones who did things with the right heart. I would see someone pick up a piece of trash when they didn't think anyone was looking, take out trash for no other reason than it was full, fix a toilet because it was overflowing, grab a mop, help someone find a seat, volunteer to watch children, move chairs... there were so many more.

What's your motivation? Why do you do what you do when you do it?

My point: Even when you don't think anyone is watching, someone may be. When you hope someone is watching so you get credit for what you are doing, you may end up looking worse.

Take a look at the things you do, if you dare to be brutally honest with yourself, ask what is the REAL motivation, you may surprise yourself with how selfish you are...

1 comment:

Tina Wilson said...

Gary, although I don't leave comments, I read your blog every time I see that it is updated. So, you have more than one fan!!! Keep them coming.