Thursday, May 19, 2011

it's all about timing

Another little concept I have been trying to teach my children is timing.

As soon as Hannah gets in the car she immediately starts with "can I have..." That list goes from a snack to her book, a piece of gummy on the floor, a drink, a sleepover... you name it and she is asking for it.

I got pretty tired of answering all these so I decided to lecture a 5 year old. I told her it's all about timing. You are more likely to get what you are asking for if you pick the right time to ask. After we are all buckled up and situated is a better time to ask for a snack. When mommy is already at the refrigerator is a better time to ask for a drink. When you are being good is a better time to ask for ice cream.

I figured this went in her little red head and back out the other side just like most lectures do but to my surprise I was wrong. The other day, my 3yr old asked for something as soon as the van door shut. We didn't even have our seat belts on or van started yet and Raegan asked for a snack and a drink. I didn't even get to turn around and Hannah was saying "shhhh RaeRae, it's all about timing..."

I gave Hannah a high five and gave them both a snack.

My point: it's all about timing.

The other day Raegan asked for a little sister - too late Rae, it's all about timing...

No comments: