Thursday, July 31, 2008

women work?

I saw this sign today and thought it was funny. 

It made me think of my wife. To the banker my wife would have to say "I don't work" which simply means I don't have a job outside the home to bring in a paycheck. Believe me, she works. 

When I have a day off, I try to make sure I do things to give her a break because as a stay at home mommy, her job is never finished. I get to go to work (that I love), have adult conversations, go out to eat with people, be outside, have quiet time and set my own schedule. She sets her daily agenda but has to adjust based on potty training and feeding schedules... 

Then when I get home, I do my best to help too. I don't think that just because I was at "work" all day that I get to relax when I get home, just like it would be wrong for her to relax all day and start doing things when I get home. 

We are a team and teams win or lose together. If she is really needing a break, it is my job to give her one. If I don't participate when I get home then I am selfish. I don't understand the concept that I "work" from 9-5 then I relax while she still does everything until it's time to go to bed. That seems a little unfair. 

My point: I believe bringing in a paycheck is important but so is making sure your spouse has a break. Teams win together and lose together. If my spouse feels like she is losing then we both lose. In marriage we need to be about partnership and sharing the load. 

Thanks to all you mommy's for all you do that we don't see and you will never be recognized for. 


5 comments:

DFowler said...

Thanks so much Babe! That brought tears to my eyes! You're the BEST! I really appreciate you and all you do!
Love,
Denae

Heather said...

Bravo! Well said!!

Dave Kidd said...

Recent research suggests that if someone, or several someones were hired to do the work of a stay-at-home wife/mother it would cost approximately $117,000 annually.

So I'm with you and will challenge anyone who suggests that our wives don't work.

Good Word - as always

DFowler said...

@ Dave Kidd......I heard on Martha Stewart the number was $136,000- something!!

Dave Kidd said...

Even better! :)