Thursday, July 24, 2008

moral authority

I heard a great message by my mancrush - Andy Stanley, about "moral authority". He explained that there are positions of authority that we don't necessarily respect. I am sure you have been there. Maybe it was a parent, boss or whoever...

We may listen to them, because we have to, but we don't really respect them. The reason we don't respect them is because they are not consistent. They say one thing and do another or act one way around certain people and totally different at home.

I guess I never put it in those terms but I can now see that is exactly why I didn't agree with some people I worked for or with. They were inconsistent with what they said and what they did. The "public" person was different than the "private" person. I guess the inconsistency made me question if they were being honest / sincere with me.

I totally understand that there are certain people you are different around. I won't let out a loud belch in front of my mom because she would still slap the fire out of me. I am talking more about matters of character and integrity.

As a Pastor, people will ask my advice/opinion based on a title. Before I say anything, I make sure what I say is what I do and that it is biblical. If I told someone that they need to tithe while I am not doing the same, I am compromising my moral authority.

If I have made the mistake they are asking me about, I make sure I tell them - I have made the same mistake in the past but I can offer what I have learned from it. I always want to operate with integrity and not compromise my moral authority.

I was blessed the other day when my 12 yr old, Shayna, told me that I am very consistent. If I say it is wrong today, it is wrong tomorrow too. She told me that she expects me to tell her what to do and make sure she understands what will happen if it doesn't get done. I communicate the task and expectations as well as the consequences. She told me that she loves this. It takes away any questions. If she does something I told her not to do she gets punished. It is that simple.

If I didn't follow through with the consequences or never told her what I expect, I am being inconsistent and she will lose respect for me because I am saying one thing and doing another.

My point: be consistent. Do what you say you are going to do. Don't do what you say you won't do - even if no one is looking.

You can click on Andy's pic to go to his messages. You will not be disappointed

2 comments:

Nightshade said...

I think having your 12yr. old daughter tell you that you are "consistent" would be one of the higher compliments in life. To be respected by a tween/teen and be verbally told so is a great honor.

Unknown said...

thanks for your feedback. I am a blessed man. I have some amazing girls (including my wife) that I try to be intentional about having great relationships with open honest communication. I hope it stays that way as they grow