Friday, July 11, 2008

Mulligan

Can you imagine being so good or bad at something that they named it after you. 

When you make a bad shot in golf, you can take a "mulligan". That basically means you don't have to score the bad shot and you can play another one. I wonder why they call it a "mulligan". 

I am sure I can research it but I thought it would be better to come up with my own story, here it is: a guy named Billy Mulligan (that's him in the picture) stunk so bad that he had to hit too many shots to count. Since they could never keep track of all the shots he really took, they just scored the good ones. Thus, every time a person he was playing with hit a bad shot, he would say "I am going to take a mulligan" and re-hit. 

Now to my main thought. What would be named after you? If I said "don't pull a Chris" - what would that mean. What would I be insinuating, would it be good or bad. What about if I wanted to give you a compliment and said "that was such a Hannah thing to do". 

Do I want you to "go give 'em a Gary". I am not sure what that would mean. What do you think it would mean. Insert your own name and try to think what other people would say. 

My point: you are going to be remembered for something, you get to decide if it is good or bad. Are you living the life you want to be remembered for. Does your word mean anything. Does your name make people cringe or smile.

I know when we were choosing names for my daughters, we would say one and wait on the reaction from the other one. We were basically trying to think of all the people with that name and decided if we liked them or not... you did it too!!!

My goal is to make "Gary" one of the most popular, well respected names out there. What!? It could happen... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gary, your point that you are going to be remembered for something reminds me of something a wise man said many many years ago. See if this rings a bell and brings a smile to your face..."about the size of a dime" :)