Wednesday, July 9, 2008

make some one smile

As I was walking into the bank today, I held the door for an elderly gentleman. He looked at me with a surprised smile and said "thanks son, you just made my day!"

That made me feel good to hear but then I started thinking and analyzing his excitement. He is either a very grateful person or people just don't do kind, considerate things anymore. 

If something as simple as opening the door for someone will make their day, imagine what letting a car in when there is a lot of traffic would do. What would happen if we started doing nice things just to "make some one's day"? 

Can you predict what someone would do if you paid for their coffee. I am sure they would think "what's your motive?" or "what kind of freak are you?" - those reactions are kind of sad. I think it is important to be kind and considerate to others. Especially if we call ourselves Christians. 

My point: something simple can make some one's day - you can do something simple. Go out and intentionally look for something nice to do. Even if you don't get the same reaction I got, you will feel good about yourself. Stop being so wrapped up in yourself and start doing something for other people. 

Let me know what kind of response you get. Now go make some one smile - do it - really, get going!!!

No comments: