Wednesday, July 30, 2008

slow down

A few weeks I totaled my car. After countless hours on the internet looking all over the state, I found one right next to the church. I had it checked out and bought it. I had Hannah with me one day and she said "Daddy, I like your new car, it's fast!" 

Today, I was going to work and got behind a lady going super slow and it didn't even bother me. I actually didn't even notice that we were crawling at a snails pace because I was so caught up in the scenery. 

I found myself looking at the sky, clouds, trees, grass, the place I wrecked my bike into a fence (another story for another day...) and everything else around. I was going slow enough that I was actually enjoying the journey and not frustrated with what someone else was doing. 

It was in that moment that I decided that I am going to slow down. I am going to go slow enough when I drive to be able to appreciate the scenery. I am going to go slow enough at home to enjoy my family time. I am going to enjoy life instead of rushing thru it. 

My point: Life goes by so fast. Make sure you enjoy the journey and not just focus on the destination. 

I heard someone say that if you want to have a great relationship with Christ, you have to "ruthlessly remove hurry from your life"... that's good stuff right there!

3 comments:

Joshua said...

I completely agree. I recently started reading a book called "The Battlefield of the Mind" which touches on this concept. I think I heard someone say once that the whole instant gratification and hurry infatuation began with the automatic dishwasher. Long-story short it inadvertently perpetuated the notion that we can always strive to do more, more, more when doing less seems like a far less stressful endeavor :p Congrats on your decision to slow down!

Christy said...

i skimmed your post cuz i have stuff to do

Derek said...

If we don't slow down we don't enjoy whats in front of our face...good post Buddy