Sunday, July 6, 2008

guilty until proven innocent

I was traveling home in a mini-van with 126k miles on it. It was me, my wife, 2 sleeping babies, and a dog. This yahoo was riding my butt so as soon as the 2 lanes changed to 3 lanes, I got in the far right lane. 

This dude blew right by me like I was standing still. We even commented that he was toast because there was a cop at the bottom of the hill. We saw the cop standing there waving his hands and we thought "ha ha, you are busted"... Not so fast

The cop pointed at ME and motioned for me to pull over. I thought you gotta be kidding me. Deni said she looked at the speedometer and it was not over 70. The cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and I said "I have no idea"... he said he clocked me doing 88 in a 65. I said this "sir, I have 2 sleeping kids and we are not in any hurry, and I don't think this van could even do 88" - he said it was and proceeded to write me a ticket. 

This sucks. I have been pulled over for speeding before and I ALWAYS admit it when I am guilty. This time, I really wasn't doing it and it is going to be my word against his. Guess who is gonna win that one???

I honestly believe he got the speed of the car that blew past me and tagged me with his speed. How do you go to court and argue that one. Every person that gets pulled over says they are innocent. The judge hears every excuse and sob story there is. What do you do when you REALLY are innocent. What about the "until proven guilty" part?

My point: I am a person that admits when I mess up. I will own it instead of making excuses. The people that know me - knows that if I say I did it, I did it, but if I say I didn't, then I didn't. I have enough integrity and they know my word is good. 

I wish the judge would just say "oh, you didn't do it - dismissed" and bang the gavel. I really don't see that happening. 

If you know of a way to get out of this one, let me know. If I did it, I would admit it. 

5 comments:

Dave Kidd said...

Were you in Ohio?

Derek said...

Gary, I honestly hope you go to court over it and fight it (in a Christ-like manner of course). It could be a good opportunity for you to be an example to the community as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least I waved when I blew past you.

Nightshade said...

I'm no attorney but I do believe that the ticketing officer must be present in court the day this goes to trial. If he does not attend the case gets dismissed. As always, your mileage may vary...

Unknown said...

I was in Ohio and I have my court appearance on Tue the 15th...