Thursday, August 28, 2008

running for bagels

I just did the Panerathon 5k race. I finished 33rd overall out of 576.  I finished in 21:16 officially (21:02 according to my watch). I haven't had a timed 5k since my Air Force days. 

This was Deni's first 5k. She did a great job (other than a little ipod malfunction)... I am very proud of her. It was great to do something together as a couple. I respect her for training and stepping up to do a race. It is a lot of fun training together. We had other friends run it too. It was a great time. 

I heard a comment that struck me funny. A kid was standing next to his dad watching people run by and said "look daddy, they are all running for bagels".

That put it all in perspective. Why do we do these things? Yeah, we got a free shirt, some food, water, cookies, chips... but that is not the reason we do these things. (some do it to feed their very unhealthy desire for a trophy/medal). 

My point: exercise & eating right is challenging, but it is good for you physically & mentally. I just want to make sure I am physically able do things with my kids and spouse. I don't want to have to sit on the sideline and watch them enjoy life. I want them to see me as a very active part of what they do. 

I did bring some cinnamon crunch bagels home...

Hannah actually asks if she can go run with daddy. I love that time with my little red head.