Wednesday, August 6, 2008

holy nose

At first glance you may think it is a mole, a piece of dirt or a booger hanging on for dear life but upon further review - Becky got her nose pierced. 

People do a lot of different things for various reasons. I wonder how many people are walking around with marks, holes or ink on their bodies from a time in their life when they made decisions without fully thinking them through. I am one of those people.

I have a couple tattoos. One of them is from my military days and I just really wanted one. I thought about it enough to make sure I didn't get one where it was seen all the time. I even decided to get one that I would not be ashamed of when I was an old man. I got my zodiac sign, Pieces. Yes, I have an astrology symbol on my ankle. Yes I regret it. It isn't a bad looking tattoo but it represents something that I have never believed in. 

I never read my horoscope or looked to the stars to predict or foretell my future. I was never into that stuff and definitely don't believe in it now. With that being said, if we don't put thought into what we permanently do to our bodies, how much thought do we put into anything. 

My point: think it through before you do it. Especially something permanent. What message are you sending by putting a hole, ink or marks on your body. What are you doing when you eat certain things or spend money you should not be spending.

Life is made up of one decision at a time. Make more good decisions than bad ones and do your best to make sure the bad ones don't do too much damage... 

I think I am going to grow a mustache - who's with me?

8 comments:

BeckE said...

Thanks! You got me to blog. Check out my response.

Derek said...

Well, lol...Gary it almost sounds like you think Becky will regret that piercing.

I have four tattoos...one of them I regret....not because I don't identify with it, but because when I recommitted my life to the Lord, I realized that if I'm going to mark my body, it should only represent him.

Gary, you do know you can get that tattoo covered right?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, and I've definitely been there. Thankfully, once a person realizes they need to weigh these decisions more carefully, there are some great artists out there who do some wonderful tattoo cover-ups just like Derek says. =)

Joshua said...

I agree- you should think long and hard before engaging in any body mods. I'm comfortable with mine though. I've got a tattoo on my left arm(possibly the beginning of a quarter-sleeve) of a sacred heart with Philippians 4:13 on it. For me it was a two-fer. My parents put that verse on the inside of the first Bible they ever gave me, and it's a nice reminder to look at every morning. In hindsight, when I was considering this tat I came to the ultimate conclusion that if I ever looked at a tattoo of scripture with regret, I'd probably have much bigger problems! :-)

Unknown said...

This post was not to agree or disagree with her decision to put a hole in her nose. It was to simply tell the 4 people who read this blog that she got it pierced.

I have no opinion as to whether she will regret it, that is totally her call.

I do know that you can get tattoos covered but unfortunately that costs money. There never seems to be enough "extra" money when you have a family...

Derek said...

Haha Gary, thats why I said "it almost sounds"

Gary, I know a Christian artist who co-owns Liquid Vision. He's pretty inexpensive. You could you know...look into it.. :P

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you have more than four readers! lol It's just us tattooed crazies who are responding! :P

Dave Kidd said...

umm, I already have a mustache...
It's turning grey along with my beard, so, I guess "Just For Men" would be my cover-up? Nah!