Wednesday, February 6, 2008

staples

I went to staples the other day to pick up some W-2 forms (yes, I waited until the last minute). The guy showed me a pack of 30 for only $20. I told him I only needed 3...

He said, this is the only pack we have, have you tried office max? I said - wow, you are referring me to your competition. He said, I just want you to get what you need and if we don't have it, I want to send you somewhere that does.

I was very impressed. I became a staples fan. There is a book by Ken Blanchard called "raving fans" and it talks about being so good that your reputation spreads by word of mouth. That is the best advertising you can get anyway.

We decided to shoot for "raving fan" service as a church. We don't offer all the typical "programs" that other churches in our denomination offers. When someone comes and asks about one of those programs, we simply tell them, we don't have that but if that is what you are looking for, I can help you find a place that does.

The way I see it - if they come to us thinking that we are something we are not, they are going to be disappointed and leave anyway. Why not help them find a place where they will be happy to begin with.

My point: you can't make everyone happy. Know who you are and what you can do and do it better than anyone else. If that isn't what someone is looking for, help them find it. They will be grateful and you may just make a new friend (sappy smile).

1 comment:

The Truth said...

LTC Murrie would be proud.