Wednesday, February 20, 2008

scoreboard

My 11 year old daughter just finished up the regular season of 6th grade basketball. Her team went undefeated. A perfect season.

I love that she is into organized sports. I like that it teaches teamwork, working hard, how to win, how to lose and many other great life lessons.

In sports, you never have to wonder - who is winning. All you have to do is look at the scoreboard. At the end there is not a dispute about who won or lost - just look at the scoreboard. Any time you keep score - someone wins and someone loses.

I think the only time it is ok to keep score is in a game or competition where everyone that is participating knows the rules. Unfortunately, I think we keep score in many other areas of life.

When someone is short a buck or two, if I am able, I will give it to them. They always say thank you or I will pay you back, to which I respond "I don't keep score". When I help someone move or finish a project around the house or just give them a ride somewhere, most of the time they say "I owe ya one" - again, I say "no you don't, I don't keep score".

Too many people do things for selfish reasons. They keep score and when the other person doesn't "repay" the favor or money, they end up mad or bitter. They see themselves as the loser and the other person won. They think "they took advantage of me!"

What would happen if we did things just to be nice. What would happen if we did things randomly and wanted absolutely nothing in return.

My point: please don't do something for someone if it means they HAVE to do something for you. If I can help you, I will. If I can't, I will tell you. Don't start a conversation like this: "remember when I helped you..." That is usually followed by "since I helped you, can you help me..." I tell them, I will help you because I can, not because you helped me.

Stop keeping score. When you keep score - someone always loses. (Don't try to feed me that junk about a tie - no one likes to tie)

Congratulations Shayna, I am very proud of you

5 comments:

Dave Kidd said...

Great Word man!

Derek said...

Gary...you remember that time at church.... :)

Just kidding.

The Truth said...

Remember when I almost wiped you off the planet when you caught that football and I obliterated you in the middle of the field??You got up and said that you owed me.....
Wait that was your best friend Jerry from the MOC....

Really though - wow...undefeated...impressive...way to go Shayna...I opened a box from the house and found a baby pic of her...wow...that was a long time ago....

One thing I will say is that you never ever minced words....I KNOW you will say if you can't help b/c I have been on the other side of that honesty...

I called you the one time and I asked if I woke you..."Heck ya, you did, what clued you in? The sleepy, groggy voice?"

Honesty.....fabulous...good times

The Truth said...

Remember when I almost wiped you off the planet when you caught that football and I obliterated you in the middle of the field??You got up and said that you owed me.....
Wait that was your best friend Jerry from the MOC....

Really though - wow...undefeated...impressive...way to go Shayna...I opened a box from the house and found a baby pic of her...wow...that was a long time ago....

One thing I will say is that you never ever minced words....I KNOW you will say if you can't help b/c I have been on the other side of that honesty...

I called you the one time and I asked if I woke you..."Heck ya, you did, what clued you in? The sleepy, groggy voice?"

Honesty.....fabulous...good times

DFowler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.