Friday, February 15, 2008

the big "BUT"

I am reading a book where the author talks about the power of the "but".

Now be careful, I know it would be extremely funny to talk about the power of the butt, however, that is not what I said. Don't get me wrong, my butt has some amazing power, "but" that is not what this post is about. I may talk about that another time (I am sure you can't wait for that).

Isn't "but" a funny word. If someone says "you look nice but..." - it doesn't matter how nice the first part of that sentence was, you are only going to remember the part after the "but". Why do we do that?

In the Hebrew language the word "but" cancels out everything that is said prior to it in a sentence structure. That means if you say: you look nice - but, you smell like cheese", you are only going to focus on the part where you smell like a dairy product. Get it?

Let's try another one. See if this one has ever happened to you. "I would love to go out with you - but, I have to braid my armpit hair". (haven't we all heard that one!)

What are you saying - then canceling it out with your big "but"?
*I know I should get in shape - but...
*I know I need to get out of debt - but...
*I should go to church - but...
*I want to have a relationship with Jesus - but...
*My dream is to have a sock full of nickels - but...

My point: we all have a big "but" and they all stink. Stop thinking about your "but" and get busy doing what you need to do. Your"but" is just getting in the way.

Pay attention to how often you say the word "but". We already notice when people say it to us, now start noticing when you say it to yourself & others.

1 comment:

Dave Kidd said...

I was worried where you might go with this, BUT, it was a great post!