Friday, January 25, 2008

let's dance

Hannah loves Dora. She would watch this bilingual, back pack wearing little girl who talks to a monkey who wears "boots" all hours of the day if we weren't such responsible parents... (can you believe I said that?)

Dora always has a mission. Every time she gets a mission she consults her map and there is a little song. When the mission is complete there is the "we did it" song.

I was walking thru the room and one of the songs started and I saw Hannah spring out of her Elmo chair (that was so last year), and begin jumping and dancing without a care in the world. I stood and watched, laughing until I decided to join in. We were both now dancing and jumping around. Then the song ended and she sat back down and I went about my business.

A few minutes later, I was upstairs unloading the dishwasher (I am very domesticated), and I heard another song come on. I heard Hannah spring out of her chair, but this time she was running. She ran to the steps and yelled "c'mon daddy", so I screamed "leave me alone kid" and went back to what was important - the dishes... WHATEVER!!!

I put down the plates and jumped down 8 steps (I stuck the landing) to dance with my little girl. After the song, I came back up until another song came on. She now expects me to dance with her every time - I wouldn't have it any other way.

My point: I want my kids to expect me to do fun things with them. I don't want them to think "daddy is to busy to play with me". I look at Shayna (11 years old) and remember how fast those years went. I want to make the most of every dance, game, adventure and bath time while I can. I love my girls and I show them love by spending time with them.

Based on where your time is allocated, what/who do you love?

Time is the greatest gift we can give our family.

2 comments:

The Truth said...

"Based on where your time is allocated, what/who do you love?"

You. I spend most of my waking hours either thinking of Blog posts, getting my Li'l Gary Tatt...errr....symbol of brotherhood worked on and just mainly learning your schedule. When you eat, sleep, pray, work, play...I'm just throwing myself into this 100% !!

Stalking you say? No way. Just because your house looks different through a telescope means nothing. Nothing!! (please turn back the living room curtains at night; they are too thick and I have trouble seeing you).

In the great words of the movie Jerry McGuire, "You...had...me..at restraining order...you had me at restraining order....

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.