Saturday, October 20, 2007

who do you listen to?

Marathon time!!! It is finally here. I have done all the mental and physical training that I am gonna do and now it is time to go run this crazy thing. The funny thing is that I actually paid to get to torture myself. I got a shirt out of the deal, that is one expensive shirt.

I am pretty excited about this. It is definitely going to be a challenge but I have convinced myself that I will finish no matter what. Mentally is a pretty big challenge. What am I going to think about for close to 4 hours. I am sure I will pray so what will I do for the next 3 hours and 50 minutes. I will think about pencils, dolphins and chocolate pudding but then what? After I think about everything I can think of, I will be forced to listen.

I am told that my brain (hold the sarcasm) will be sending different messages. The left brain will be telling me to quit, you are too tired, you are hurting, this is crazy, what's the big deal... while my right brain will be singing "the eye of the tiger" over and over to combat the right brain. I have been reading about this battle that everyone has and I have some things rehearsed to say when the left brain starts to dish all the garbage. I said I wanted to do it and now it is time to shut up and do it. I am prepared for the physical battle and the mental battle.

My point: Like anything worth having, it is worth working for. Anything that you work for there is probably going to be someone telling you that it is not achievable. Don't let the one saying the negative things be yourself. You can do it if you want it bad enough.

I picture the devil and an angel on each shoulder. I have to decide who to listen to... So do you!!!

No comments: