Sunday, October 14, 2007

I gotchu

My 2 year old continues to teach me a lot. She loves climbing and playing on the playground and she seems fearless. She seems that way until she is confronted with uncertainty.

She will just run ahead of me and start climbing on something even if she doesn't know if she can navigate it. She gets as far as she can and then looks to me. She looks with a panic and then starts calling for me. When there is a possibility for injury, I am always close so she can usually reach me.

I began encouraging her to climb some things she shouldn't be able to climb. She would get into the climb and then start to panic a little. I would put my hand on her and calmly tell her "I got you". She would then refocus and finish the climb. From then on she would get to a point of fear and whisper to herself "I gotchu, I gotchu". She really didn't even need to see me or hear me, she would just say it to herself and keep going.

I thought this is how we adults are in our lives. We face uncertainty and get scared and want to stop so we don't experience the fear or pain. Sometimes all we need is a little encouragement from our Father. Simply knowing that He is there and sometimes reminding ourselves that He has a plan and purpose for our lives, or that He will never leave us, is enough to keep us moving forward. I have found myself on many occasions reminding myself of something that my Heavenly Father has spoken through His word. There are many we can choose to recall but the key is having heard them in order to remind ourselves of them.

My point: We have to know His words before we can recall them. We will all face uncertainty. What we do when that happens is up to us. We can choose to allow the fear to paralyze us and keep us from moving forward or we can remind ourselves that we are not alone and that our Heavenly Father has us. If we are not spending time listening to His promises then when we get in a place where we are confronted with fear, we will listen to the negative thoughts we are having. We will live in fear and never move forward.

Allow your Heavenly Father to whisper to you "I gotchu!!!"

No comments: