Saturday, October 13, 2007

busted

Thursday night I got pulled over for speeding. I was driving to speak at a youth retreat and I had to pass through some towns that are not even on the map. Just because they are not on the map doesn't mean they don't have police.

I was cruising along listening to some good leadership stuff trying to follow the directions, eat and text all at the same time. With all I was doing, I guess I forgot to look at my speedometer. I guess to be honest, even if I would've looked at it, I wouldn't have slowed down. I was running late and needed to make up some time.

I saw a police officer coming at me so that is when I decided to look at my speed. I was going a little over 65. I had no idea what the speed limit was so I slammed on the brakes. It didn't work. The policeman pulled me over and informed me that the limit is 55. He asked me where I was going and I pulled the "I am a pastor going to speak at a youth retreat". He asked me if I was going to say nice things about him tonight. I said it depends on what happens in the next couple minutes... He wrote me a ticket.

I was TICKED!!! I don't have the money to pay a stupid speeding ticket. Then I realized that it was 100% MY FAULT. I was in total control of my speed. I guess in reality I knew I was breaking the law but I thought I could get away with it. I was wrong. The officer was only doing his job. I couldn't be mad at him. I could only be mad at myself.

My Point: We need to do what is right even when we don't think anyone is looking. I think this is called "integrity". We are still breaking the law or sinning when we don't get caught by someone. I always tell my daughter to "do what is right because it is right". I guess I should take my own advice.

If it were a female cop, I would've totally got out of it, I was looking good that night...

No comments: