Thursday, July 12, 2007

you want it when

Deadlines are not something people usually view as positive. Most people don't like them and even stress over them. Color me crazy but I like them.

For some strange reason, I work better with deadlines. If I don't have a time something is due, I can easily keep postponing it. If I postpone it long enough, I figure it probably didn't really need done anyway. That is not always true.

I am so much better in a structured classroom than doing correspondence courses over the internet. I will finish more books if I have a date to have them read by. I will train harder if I know when the race is.... Why do I do this - I don't know.

I guess I see deadlines as a goal or a form of accountability. I don't like to say I didn't get something done. I guess that makes me feel like a failure. I like being able to say "I did it". Without a deadline or accountability maybe I don't feel completing it matters or maybe its because there is no one to pat me on the back and say "good job" (I love affirmation and encouragement...). Whatever the reason I guess I need deadlines to accomplish more. I feel like I can perform at a higher level when there is a lot to do.

My point: Deadlines are not bad. Accountability is not bad. Goals are not bad. If you hate having deadlines maybe it is because you don't believe in yourself enough to accomplish the task or don't manage your time well enough to complete the tasks you have. Or maybe you simply have too much going on and you need to scale back a little to enjoy life.

How do you view deadlines? You have 2 days to let me know...

1 comment:

Denise said...

Wow! Gary, you have some incredible blogs here. Deni wasn't kidding when she said they were pretty good. Now, the deadline thing. I know I'm late, but in my defense I just read this post today ;) Seriously, This one hit me head on. I am definitely a deadline type of person. Gets me motivated to finish what needs to be done. :)