Thursday, July 5, 2007

vomit

We have a family pet named "Libby". She is a great dog that Hannah beats the wahoo out of. Libby is sick right now and she is throwing up all over the place. It is pretty nasty. As sorry as I feel for this dog, it reminds me how disgusting these animals are. Dogs are naturally gross animals. Anyone who has a dog understands that you need to clean up the vomit so the dog doesn't eat it.

Someone recently told me a story about her son throwing up all night in a bowl. She would lift the bowl to him when he needed to throw up and put it back on the floor until it was needed again. Throughout the night, her son used it many times. When morning came, she picked up the bowl to take it to clean it up and discovered it was empty. Yep, you guessed it, the dog ate it... GROSS!!! Not only do they eat their own vomit but they eat other people's too. Ok, you get the picture.

Proverbs 26:11 as a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats their folly (a foolish action)

This verse gives a great and gross image about how God views our foolish actions. When I think that when I continue to do something foolish, it is as gross as a dog eating vomit. When I stop doing something foolish and then choose to do it again, I am no smarter than a dog.

I can think of many things that I no longer choose to do because it was foolish. I used to drink, chew tobacco, make fun of people, feel like I always had to be right... just to name a few. I gotta admit that sometimes I am tempted to repeat those foolish actions but if I do that just makes me a fool.

My point: Quit eating vomit! Stop doing what God thinks is a gross representation of what a Christian is. Stop being negative or talking down to people. Watching those videos or visiting those websites is clearly foolish. As hard as it may seem, be smarter than a dog.

What are you doing that is foolish in God's eyes? Are you eating vomit?

No comments: