Sunday, July 29, 2007

remember

I had the privilege of doing a wedding of a friend and former student from when I was a youth pastor. This guy actually sang at my wedding. It made me think of some really great memories... Any time I do a wedding it makes me remember my own. What an amazing day with many of my loved ones there to share our special day.

I also love to do pre-wedding conversations (most people call it counseling). When I talk to the couple before they get married I ask specific questions. I love hearing "the story" about how they met, first kiss, the proposal, why they want to get married, what are some things they love about the other...? This is all done in conversation. I watch the couple as they talk. I can get a pretty good idea of whether they are shooting some fluff or if they are genuinely in love.

Based on the conversation, I offer them some of my observations (again, some call it counseling). I feel obligated to share my insight and inform them of some potential red flags I may see. They are at least aware and we can come up with ways to make sure they do not become major obstacles to their relationship.

I love having my wife with me when we have the pre-marital conversation. I love hearing her insight but more than anything I love the conversations we have afterwards. We can't help but talk about when we would stay up for hours and just talk. Or IM late into the night. One of my favorite topics is the first kiss. I will never forget that...

I love being in love and I love being reminded of why and how we first fell in love. I know we have our anniversary but I get to use everyone elses weddings to remember ours. I think it is good sometimes to just break out the old videos and look over the pictures. It is easy to get caught up in the day to day activities, kids, work, housework... We need to be intentional about taking time to remember.

My point: We have a memory for a reason - use it. Whether it is your anniversary, a song that takes you back or a totally random thought, take time to pause long enough to remember what was special about that time.

Take some time this week to talk about when you were just dating. Start some conversations with "remember when..." and see what happens. I would love to hear the stories. Maybe you can ask someone else to hear their story. Watch them light up when the feelings start coming back once they begin to "remember".

No comments: