Thursday, November 1, 2012

success or failure

Shayna (my 16 yr old daughter) took the maneuverability part of the drivers test. She CRUSHED it...

When I say she crushed it, I mean she crushed the orange cone which means she didn't pass the maneuverability part of the test - but  she did pass the character test.

She was very frustrated that she tried something and didn't succeed at it but as we discussed the situation it became very obvious that the attitude and perspective she took about it was nothing short of a total success.

I framed it this way: I now get to drive you to work, I get to practice with you again, I get to drive to the BMV to take the test again and to me that is awesome because it means I get to spend more time with her. Once she gets her license - she won't "need" me to chauffeur her around and I will not have those little pockets of time that are becoming more and more rare the older she gets.

My point: her attitude and outlook on "failing" was a lesson in character and that is a test she passed with flying colors. The perceived failure means I get some quality time with my oldest daughter. To me those are both successes.

Side note: she literally crushed the cone. She hit that sucker so hard the instructor cussed - now that's just funny.

Failure? I think not. This has been a successful day!




No comments: