Wednesday, November 21, 2012

licensed to care

The past several months have been interesting to say the least.

Shayna turned 16 so we did the driving school thing then the hours of driving then came time for the test.

Because she didn't pass the maneuverability part the first 2 times, we got to know this gentleman pretty well.

The first visit was all business. The second time was a little more conversation and less formal. By the 3rd visit, Sgt Straight was telling us all about his family vacations, his sore knee, his financial status, his love for a good beer and lots of other very interesting things.

He opened up because we got him talking about himself. We cared enough to ask him questions about him.

My point: a lot of people care so much about themselves that they don't have the ability to care about others. I challenge myself to allow others to talk more about themselves then I do about me. I am trying to model for my children that it is so much more interesting and fun to get to hear other peoples stories.

This is the same guy that cussed the 2nd time she hit the cone and on this day he was cheering and cheezing her on!

We already know our story, lets hear theirs.

She just got her license to drive, but I hope she always keeps her license to care...





No comments: