Monday, June 9, 2008

are -vs- want to

I think I am going to change the question "how are you doing?" to "how do you want to be doing?". That may change the way people answer. 

Today, I overheard a person casually ask someone "how are you doing this morning" only to hear the person respond "I am so tired, I didn't get to bed until after 11". I thought - oh poor baby, did you not get your 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep!!! 

Why do people feel the need to tell people how bad things are. Is there nothing good you can say? Wow, that must be awful. 

Then there are people who will make it sound like it is the biggest deal to do the smallest little thing. They go into all the things that they will have to do or how much of a pain it's gonna be to help. 

If you can't do it, say no. If you can but it's gonna take some rearranging or changing plans - do it without complaining. I would rather hear you say "NO" instead of all the awful things you have to go thru to say "yes"... 

My point: Unfortunately when people say "how are you", most of the time they are just being nice. The next time someone asks you that question, give them a big smile and do your best to respond in a positive way. Watch their reaction, they will be surprised that you are different, because most people answer negative. 

If I ask, I really do care how people are doing but there are those people who you just know are going to be negative no matter what - so I stop asking those people that question and I will begin asking "how do you want to be doing?", if the response to that is negative - you got issues! 

3 comments:

Dave Kidd said...

On the other side...

When someone asks how I am doing, I sometimes, reply with another question...

"Do you care?"

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel special, you used something I said in your blog! Of course, it was a sarcastic comment, but hey, it's something!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, I will definately be thinking about this one....and I may use your "How do you want to be doing?" the next time someone tells me how misserable they are...
I still think of you every time someone asks me to pray for them....I hear you in my head saying "Are you praying for you"...lol and sometimes I actually ask the person that question and remind them to be praying for themselves as well...and the power they have in Christ.... :)