Tuesday, June 10, 2008

3/4

Well another year has passed in the life of my oldest daughter Shayna. She turns 12 today. She is absolutely beautiful both inside & out. 

Birthdays cause you to reflect on memories. Many years ago, we visited one of Shayna's friends who had a mother battling Lou Gehrig's disease. She couldn't communicate verbally at all.  My heart broke for her because I thought - how can I tell my kids & spouse how much I love them if I can't speak. 

On that day Shayna and I decided that we would figure out a way to say "I LOVE YOU" without having to use words. We decided that one would do something 3 times and the other would respond back with 4. We figured "I LOVE YOU" is 3 words and "I LOVE YOU TOO" is 4 words so it just made sense. 

So if ever there was a time I couldn't speak, I could blink 3 times and she would know I was saying I LOVE YOU. I tested this from the time she was just a little girl. She would be on my lap watching TV and I would squeeze her leg or hand 3 times and without thinking she would squeeze back 4 times. I was amazed at how quick she caught on at such an early age. 

Even now, when I text her I will either end with the words I LOVE YOU or I will put "1.2.3." and she will respond with "4". If we are going somewhere and can only see each other but not hear - I will hold up 3 fingers and she will hold up 4. 

I am so glad I have a nonverbal way to communicate. If for whatever reason I couldn't tell my family I love them, it would be horrible. This way - anything in 3's or 4's - we know what is being said. 

My point: We need to be intentional about making great memories to look back on. Have something special for the people you love. Be intentional with what you say and how you say it. 

Happy birthday Shayna 1.2.3...

2 comments:

Andy Warren said...

Nice bro!

I love your intentionality

Dave Kidd said...

memories...

My mother and I used to do that (hand squeeze: 3-I love you, 5-I love you so much) when I was a child. Now, Robin and I do the same thing.

Great Post!