Tuesday, April 22, 2008

kroger gas lady

I went to get gas this morning at a place where it was still the low low price of $3.34 a gallon. Down the street it went up to $3.59 so I had to move quick.

I pulled into Kroger because with my Kroger plus card, I get 3 cents off (sound of cheers and images of confetti falling from the great unknown). I got out to put the fuel in my silver machine when I suddenly realized that I didn't have my card. What am I going to do? Now I have to pay the full $3.34 and not the discounted price of $3.31!!!

I asked the lady at the next pump, "can I scan your card?" She handed it over to me and said "sure - well wait, I only have 4 left, well who cares, go ahead." I shot back the blankest stare you have ever seen. I crossed my eyes, opened my mouth and lowered my bottom lip lower than I have ever it before. I even tried to let drool dangle but I couldn't generate enough saliva to pull that one off, then mumbled "what?"

Anyway, she went on to explain she had about 50cents off of 6 fill ups and she has 4 left. Now, I felt like an idiot. I didn't want her 50cents, I was only looking for my 3cent discount. I gave it back to her and said thank you for offering it but I couldn't do that to her. I was very impressed that she would even let me use her 50 cent savings with the prices the way they are. (no, I didn't use her card...)

My point: In a time when greed seems to far outweigh generosity, it was refreshing to see someone willing to pass the savings on to someone else - even a complete stranger. I hope I would have done the same thing. Thanks Kroger gas lady!

Greed is a trap and unquenchable addiction. Greed is never satisfied!

Greedy people should be beat down with a sock full of nickels.

3 comments:

Derek said...

well at least you didn't say a sock full of quarters...

Dave Kidd said...

that's twice I've seen that today, I hope you have sandals on at District Council, I don't want you to have any socks, anywhere,when I'm around. =P

DFowler said...

It's because you're so HOT!
JK