Friday, April 4, 2008

the great compliment

My wife told me that when I do certain things it reminds her of my dad. Or she will say, you sounded just like your dad when you said that.

I was told that the greatest compliment you can receive is the one you are not around to hear. That means the person is saying something nice about you not just to butter you up to ask for money. While I agree a great compliment is when they say it without a motive, I think the greatest compliment you can give me is that I am like my dad.

I am very blessed to have a great dad. I have hopefully taken some of his great qualities and applied them to my life. Even when I am not trying to be like him, it just happens. He a great influence to me and it is an honor to be like him.

I hope when people tell my girls, "you remind me of your dad", they mean it as a compliment. That is why I want to model Christ as best I can. Not just when they are watching but all the time. It is called integrity and I learned it from my dad.

My point: people are going to say things about you, are they going to be good or bad - that is somewhat up to you. Give them something great to say to you, about you and when you are not around.

If my children love me half as much as I love my dad - I am a success.

2 comments:

DFowler said...

Awwwh, you are so sweet! You got me teary eyed again! :) I feel like that too. If my girls love me a portion of how much I love my mom and dad, then I'm ecstatic! :)

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs =]