Monday, November 5, 2007

lessons learned

I appreciate all the calls, emails and conversations about me running the Columbus marathon. Actually the only call I got was from my dad (he was returning my call), not sure I got any emails and the only actual conversation I had was with Tim Smelcer (thanks Tim)... I digress.

Even though there was limited (actually no) interest in the marathon, this is my blog and I am going to use this space to tell some of the lessons I learned while on this marathon journey.

The first lesson is that "there is a lesson in everything". Entering the blogosphere has caused me to look at life in a little different way. I now find myself saying "that's a blog" or "that would make a good blog". When people say they would blog but they don't know what they would blog about, I tell them to blog about their life and opinions. It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (doesn't everything). The one where Jerry & George were pitching the idea to NBC for their TV show and they said it is about "nothing". For instance what did you do today... there is an episode or blog.

My point: Life is very interesting and full of lessons if you are looking through the lens of learning. Take time out of your day to ask "what lesson is there in this?", then pass it on. When you quit learning you stop growing.

Start your blog and let me know so I can read it. Don't think it has to be profound or something dynamic - it doesn't, I prove that with every post. Live, learn and post!!!

5 comments:

Tim said...

Thats funny seems like I heard this before...thanks for the challenge the other night at Quaker Steak! I have begun to 'look' at things again through that lense...and you know what, blogging is easier! Thanks for your friendship!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary! How are you and the girls? Sorry no one was interested in the marathon...I would've been but I didnt even know about it! Here's the link to my blog. www.xanga.com/shenanigansylv
Leave me a comment! ;D

DFowler said...

You know I was interested in your marathon! I'm so proud of you!!

Dave Kidd said...

Hey, I read your blog, and I was curious about your experience with the whole marathon thing. and yes, I started a blog 2 months ago.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

I'm late getting on board to the blog. How did it go BTW?

Proud of your accomplishments.


All the best,
Jim Phelan