Tuesday, August 7, 2007

show or tell

"healthy people tell you when they are angry, unhealthy people show it."

I heard that quote and started asking myself if I was healthy or unhealthy. I think we would all like to say we are healthy but reality sometimes proves different. I think we have all lost control at one time or another. A one time event does not mean you are unhealthy, but when you always seem mad, even at the smallest things I think it is time for a check up.

Our neighbor was mowing the lawn the other day and was visibly angry at something (I wonder if it was because we let our dog poop in her yard). We could tell she was mad because of her facial expressions, body language and we couldn't say for sure but we are fairly confident she was grumbling and complaining even though no one could hear her. After 2 hours of watching her... just kidding, we only watched long enough to start a conversation about how out of character this was for her. She is normally a very happy, easy going person. Something was out of the ordinary for her to be acting this way.

As I thought about this, I began to wonder: when people see me angry do they think it is normal or out of character for me? If they see me mad and say "there he goes again" or "it's no big deal, he will be fine in a minute or two" or "stay away until he quits throwing things"... I must look like a complete idiot. I can do this well enough on my own without being mad (I know were thinking it, so I wrote it first...).

My point: We look really stupid when we are mad. We usually make it worse when we act it out instead of talking it through. Get on a "health kick". Make tantrums a thing of the past.

This week: Pay attention to how often do you get mad. How do you react to your anger. Do you show it or explain it? Do you even know why you are mad or is it just an everyday common occurrence?

Now for your homework: go look at yourself in the mirror and make your "mad face". After you are done laughing at how dumb you look, send me a picture of it (gary@myC3church.com) so I can enjoy it too...

No comments: