Tuesday, September 15, 2009

competition

I am a pretty competitive person. I will try to make everything a competition, at least I used to.

I learned pretty quick that just because winning or losing motivates me, it doesn't motivate everyone. I don't like to lose so I am motivated to win and try harder or rise to the level of pressure placed on me by the other person.

I had to learn to keep the competitions limited to people who "wanted" to be in competition. I found out that when I made something a game of winning or losing but the other person didn't want to participate, it made things worse. Winning or losing didn't necessarily motivate them like it does me.

Another reason I had to get this under control is because I don't lose very gracefully (probably because I don't lose that often...ha). I would become a poor sport or try to get into the other persons head and often times I would let it get personal just so I could win.

Sometimes when I would win, I would lose. I would win the stupid competition but I would lose respect of others and worse case scenario, I would lose a friend because I would say or do things in the heat of competition that I would not understand why it was a big deal after the game was over (and I won).

I now compete and if I lose, I am a great sport about it (most of the time). I have learned that what matters most is people - period.

My point: I LOVE winning and I will always do my best. If that results in a victory - great. If not, that is ok too but I will not trade a win for a friend. The loss of respect is not worth the bragging rights to say "I won" because honestly no one really cares about the title or trophy except you...

Get over your pride and care about others enough to congratulate them on their victory. You will be a better person for it and you will keep your friends.

4 comments:

Andy Warren said...

very nice - one of my favorite quotes is "I don't play to win - just to beat you."

brent salyers said...

I agree, but I'm up one nothing...

Dave Kidd said...

being such an non-competitive person, I really appreciated this post.

Sylvia said...

I'm proud of you Gary. Coming from a competitive family, I know exactly what you're talking about. It really speaks of your character that you think about people before winning.