Thursday, September 17, 2009

always room for RaeRae

Hannah used to have a problem sharing with Raegan (RaeRae). We saw this and decided to do something about it from very early on.

Anytime RaeRae would be on my lap or would try to play with something of Hannah's, Hannah would try to move her away or take the toy. Hannah didn't want anything to do with me or the toy until RaeRae did. We decided to come up with little sayings to help our children remember things. In this case, anytime RaeRae would want to be held, sit on my lap or even - Lord forbid - stand on Hannah's stool, we would say "Hannah, there is ALWAYS room for RaeRae"...

It didn't take long for this little phrase to sink in. One day we were upstairs and heard the girls playing. I looked down and saw Hannah sitting in a little chair and here comes RaeRae. I watched as I figured I would have to intervene and correct some behaviors. To my surprise, Hannah saw RaeRae coming towards her and Hannah (by some miraculous move of the almighty God), shifted over and made room for RaeRae to sit down. She said "there's always room for RaeRae" and allowed her to sit with her and began reading the book to her little sister. Who saw that one coming? I ran downstairs and started to cheer for Hannah. I grabbed her and we all began dancing and celebrating. It was quite a scene.

Hannah and RaeRae now even share this tiny little stool in the bathroom. Granted, they will soon be to big for them to share but that will be fun to watch them try.

My point: we have to teach and encourage the behavior we want repeated. We want our children to know that no matter what - we MAKE time and room for each other.

There will never be a time when a family member or friend is not welcome to be around me (other than the obvious times that involve the bathroom). If you see me talking to someone, you don't need to be an insecure little man / woman and think you can't approach me. If you assume I am talking about you, you should assume I am talking good... That's just how I roll ya'll

No comments: