Wednesday, December 17, 2008

spiritual decay

I was reading "the tale of 3 kings" by Gene Edwards (GREAT BOOK) and it motivated me to start reading 1 & 2 Samuel.

As I was reading this morning something in the study notes really hit me hard - in a very good way. Here is what it said:

Poor leadership is not the result of personality traits but of decaying spiritual character. What we do is often a direct result of our spiritual condition. We cannot ignore the importance of spiritual character in effective leadership.

When I think about the times that I get frustrated, easily offended, overly critical, sarcastic or just in a bad mood, I can honestly say those times happen more often when I am not spending time in prayer & reading my Bible. 

Every relationship I have, whether it is my spouse, kids, co-workers or friends, is directly effected by my spiritual health. If I am not growing, I am decaying. How I respond or react is a direct result of my spiritual health.

I would challenge you to see if this is true for you as well. If you are constantly in a bad mood or easily frustrated, look at how much time you spend with your creator.

My point: it seems so simple & obvious but we often neglect THE single most important thing in our lives - our personal relationship with Christ. If we are filling ourselves with the wisdom and knowledge from God’s word, we will look & sound a lot more like Him.

What is your spiritual condition? I am sure you can ask those closest to you if you want the brutal truth…

Your spiritual condition is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

feel free to comment

3 comments:

shawna said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment, and I notice the same spiritual to mood/outlook correlation in my own life. Great post, Gary!

Pastor Dan Lund said...

Good Stuff Gary - we have to keep looking deep because too often "what seems right to a man only leads to death." I'm amazed at how wide my own blindspot can be at times. Thanks for the challenge! Dan Lund...

Dave Kidd said...

Blog something! Please? :)